Lesson Plan for nursery school,
16 – 26 month old, by Rania
“When in doubt,” a mentor of mine once told me, “talk about animals, sing about animals, just use animals, or food, or nature. I don’t know why but children love them!” So, here is a lesson plan that can be focused around ainmals or nature. I would suggest focusing on one of these for the age group I am recommending here. This lesson plan can easily be used for older children but of course your expectations will be a little bit different.
and on Google Docs. Also check my previous lesson plan here
Duration: approx 20 minutes
Aim of Session: Listen and move to the music, follow directions and trigger imagination
Skill: observation, memory, imitation, being social, listening, gross motor skills
Knowledge: Learn about the outdoors, nature, natural sounds, animals and animal sounds, observation and imitation
Description of the Session
- Warm up
- Sing 2 songs about nature / animals
- Show pictures of animals — moves and make sound inspired by the picture
- With a hand drum: name animals and children move according to that. Hit the drum rhythmically, mimicking the animal’s or plant’s march, behaviour, posture etc…
- Music on: Musical statues with music that is about nature or animals. Move with the children. Ask the children to represent a specific animal when they move (check tips)
- Sing 2 songs
- Warm down music
music source (tablet, iPad), music*, books/pictures of nature and animals, drum (and a mallet)
- Woodwings – Emily Doolittle (consider buying music)
- The Swan Brings Winter on its Wings – Esther Hopkins
- Wanderlust – Marta Lozano Molano
- Mountain Dances – I. Thin Air – Kimberly Osberg
- The Animal fair
- 1-2-3-4-5 once I caught a fish alive
- Walking through the jungle
Tips for Music Practitioner in Nursery
- Focus the lesson plan around animals or nature
- The music suggestions I give are only suggestions.
- Try as much as you can to incorporate music written in modern times.
- Participate as much as possible in the session.
- Younger children might not easily get the concept of musical statues. That is okay.
© Rania Chrysostomou, 2020, lesson plan for nursery schools music